Click on this link to print or save this document: Coleus
Stained Glassworks™ (Coleus hybrida)
Landscape cultivars: Big Blonde, Copper, Daffy, Defiance, Emerald & Snow, Molten Lava, and Witch Doctor.
Novelty cultivars: Burgundy Wedding Train, Kiwi Fern, Midnight Train, Needlepoint, Oompah, Rose Explosion, Show & Tell, Tilt A Whirl, Trailing Plum, Eruption, and Green Autry
Coleus can be propagated in various tray sizes including 72, 84, and 105’s. Propagate using one cutting per cell. Propagation Cycle: 3 weeks
- Choose a well-drained aerated propagation media
- Avoid media containing peat moss which will hold too much water
- Choose a blended media with other components or inorganic media such as Oasis® or Rockwool®
- Bottom heat will promote healthy root development.
- Maintain bottom heat at 70-75°F/21-24°C.
- Mist will cool the media temperature. Monitor media temperature closely and frequently.
- Coleus roots easily without the use of rooting hormone. However, time to root and uniformity in rooting may be improved with use of a hormone.
- Either liquid or powder formulations work equally well. Choose a product with up to 2500 ppm IBA or up to 500 ppm NAA.
- Average days with mist vary from 4-6 days depending on environmental conditions in the greenhouse.
- Mist cuttings so they remain turgid but avoid over misting that results in saturated media.
- Over misting will result in slow rooting and possible problems with root rot and botrytis.
- It is important to transplant cuttings on time to avoid stretch.
- If necessary, Coleus responds to B-Nine® sprays at 1000 ppm.
Choose a media with the following traits:
- Good aeration
- Porosity between 5-15%
- Avoid excess irrigation and fertilization while plants are establishing which can lead to slow root development.
- Fertilizer Regime
- Begin fertilizing 2 weeks after transplant.
- Choose a complete balanced fertilizer complete with minor elements.
- Apply 150-200 ppm constant liquid feed.
- Avoid using too much ammonium based nitrogen and higher rates of fertilizer which will promote unwanted stretch and soft vegetative growth.
- A slow release product may also be used to supplement a constant liquid feed program and may provide improved performance for the consumer.
- Maintain pH between 5.5-6.3
- Optimum EC is 1.5 to 2.0 mmhos. Provide periodic clear water application if excess salts accumulate.
Coleus can be grown successfully at a wide range of temperatures but for best results the crop should be established warm. As root growth and top growth begins temperatures can be reduced.
Establishing temperature: 65°F/18°C average daily temperature.
Temperatures for growing on: 75-85°F/21-30C day and 55-65°F/13-18°C night.
Maintain relative humidity below 70% and provide good air circulation to avoid problems with botrytis.
Coleus will tolerate bright light but for more intense foliage color provide shadier conditions.
- 4,000-6,000 foot candles/43,100-64,600 lux
Foliage color will be more intense:
- 1,500 – 3,000 foot candles/15,690 – 31,380 lux
Establish plants pot tight than space to:
- 4” pots – 5-6” centers (approximately 2 per sq. ft.)
- 6” pots/1 gallon – 14” centers
- 8” pots – 18” centers
1st Pinch- soon after transplanting and once plants have established
2nd Pinch- plants can be pinched or sheared as needed for shape or for height control
Plant Growth Regulators
Growth Regulators are generally not needed. If necessary Coleus responds to:
- B-Nine® as a spray at 2500 ppm
- Cycocel® sprays at 1500 ppm
- Sumagic® as a spray at 5-10 ppm
Insect and Disease Concerns
- Mealy Bugs
|Product Form||# Liners per pot||Weeks to establish prior to pinch||Total crop time* (weeks)|
*total crop time may vary depending on the vigor of the individual varieties
We hope the information provided will be helpful. It is based upon data and knowledge (including information provided by the recipient) considered to be true and accurate, but without independent investigation and is offered for the recipient’s consideration, investigation and verification, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statement, recommendations, or suggestions in conjunction with any conditions of sale or use which apply to any products, or systems recommended by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use which would infringe any patent/copyright.
© 2011 Ecke Ranch