Click on this link to print or save this document: Gaura
Gaura can be propagated in various tray sizes including 72, 84, and 105’s. Stick one cutting per cell. Propagation Cycle: 4 weeks
- Choose a well-drained aerated propagation media
- Avoid media containing peat moss which will hold too much water
- Choose a blended media with other components or inorganic media such as Oasis® or Rockwool®
- Bottom heat will promote healthy root development.
- Maintain bottom heat at 70-75°F/21-24°C.
- Mist will cool the media temperature. Monitor media temperature closely and frequently.
- Pink Fountain roots easily without the use of rooting hormone. However, time to root and uniformity in rooting may be improved with use of a hormone.
- Either liquid or powder formulations work equally well. Choose a product with up to 2500 ppm IBA or up to 500 ppm NAA.
- Average days with mist vary from 6-9 days depending on environmental conditions in the greenhouse.
- Mist cuttings so they remain turgid but avoid over misting that results in saturated media.
- Over misting will result in slow rooting and possible problems with root rot and botrytis.
- Pinch cuttings in week 4 of propagation.
Choose a media with the following traits:
- Good aeration
- Porosity between 5-15%
- Avoid excess irrigation and fertilization while plants are establishing which can lead to slow root development.
- Fertilizer Regime
- Begin fertilizing 2 weeks after transplant.
- Choose a complete balanced fertilizer complete with minor elements.
- A periodic feeding of 200-250 ppm constant liquid feed.
- Alternate with calcium nitrate on a regular basis.
- Additional iron may be needed – apply as iron chelate or iron sulfate (always rinse foliage when using iron sulfate)
- A slow release product may also be used to supplement a constant liquid feed program and may provide improved performance for the consumer.
- Maintain pH between 5.5-6.0
- Optimum EC is 2 to 2.5 mmhos. Provide periodic clear water application if excess salts accumulate.
Establishing temperature: 65°F/18°C average daily temperature
Temperatures for growing on: 50-70°F/10-21°C day and 45-60°F/7-15°C night
At lower temperatures:
- Flowering will be promoted
- Growth will be slower and time in production longer
At warmer temperatures:
- Time to flower will be longer
- Excess vegetative growth may be a problem
Maintain relative humidity below 70% and provide good air circulation to avoid problems with botrytis.
Pink Fountain prefers bright light. For best results Pink Fountain should be grown in a greenhouse with retractable roofs or in a field production setting.
- 5000 foot candles/53,800 lux minimum
- 9000 foot candles/96,900 lux maximum
Establish plants pot tight than space to:
- 4” pots – 5-6” centers (approximately 2 per sq. ft.)
- 6” pots/1 gallon – 14” centers
- 8” pots – 18” centers
1st Pinch- week 3 of propagation
2nd Pinch- trim once established (2-3 weeks after transplant)
Additional Pinch- shape, correct stretch or time to flower (mature plants will flower 5-6 weeks after pinch)
- Apply a preventative fungicide application for botrytis at the time of pinch. Do not apply mist of water immediately after any hard pinch.
Plant Growth Regulators
Cool temperatures and good light levels are the best way to control stretch. If needed, Papillion responds to:
- B-Nine® as a spray at 2500 ppm
- Bonzi® as a spray at 30-50 ppm
- Sumagic® as a spray at 13-30 ppm
*Apply any PGR applications prior to visible bud set to avoid delay in time to flower.
Insect and Disease Concerns
- Fungus Gnats
- Root and stem rots
|Product Form||# Liners per pot||Weeks to establish||Weeks to flower after pinch||Total Crop Time from transplant (weeks)|
|6” / 1 gallon||2||2-3||5-6||9-12|
We hope the information provided will be helpful. It is based upon data and knowledge (including information provided by the recipient) considered to be true and accurate, but without independent investigation and is offered for the recipient’s consideration, investigation and verification, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statement, recommendations, or suggestions in conjunction with any conditions of sale or use which apply to any products, or systems recommended by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use which would infringe any patent/copyright.
© 2011 Ecke Ranch