Click on this link to print or save this document: Lobelia
Ocean Flash & Ocean White
Velocity Violas can be propagated in various tray sizes including 32,50,72,84 and 105’s. Stick two cuttings per cell. Propagation Cycle: 3-4 weeks
- Choose a well-drained aerated propagation media.
- Avoid media containing peat moss which will hold too much water.
- Choose a blended media with other components or inorganic media such as Oasis® or Rockwool®.
- Bottom heat will promote healthy root development.
- Maintain bottom heat at 70-75°F/21-24°C.
- Mist will cool the media temperature. Monitor media temperature closely and frequently.
- Lobelia will benefit from the use of rooting hormone.
- Use a product containing 1500 ppm IBA and 400 ppm NAA.
- Average days with mist vary from 7-10 days depending on environmental conditions in the greenhouse.
- Mist cuttings so they remain turgid but avoid over misting that results in saturated media.
- Over misting will result in slow rooting and possible problems with root rot and botrytis.
- Mist should be eliminated or significantly reduced as roots form.
- Generally not necessary.
- Shear Day 7-10 and again before shipping if necessary.
- Begin feeding as roots are visible. Begin with 75 ppm nitrogen then increase to 150 ppm. Choose a fertilizer with low levels of ammonium based nitrogen and avoid overhead feeding with fertilizer containing phosphorus.
- Maintain pH at 5.5-5.8.
- Maintain EC at 0.75-0.80 mmhos.
Choose a media with the following traits:
- Good aeration
- Porosity between 5-15%
- Avoid excess irrigation and fertilization while plants are establishing which can lead to slow root development. Do not allow mature plants to dry excessively.
- Fertilizer Regime
- Begin fertilizing 2 weeks after transplant.
- Choose a complete balanced fertilizer complete with minor elements.
- Apply 200-250 ppm constant liquid feed with a fertilizer low in phosphorus.
- Extra calcium will help to strengthen stems.
- A slow release product may also be used to supplement a constant liquid feed program and may provide improved performance for the consumer.
- Maintain pH between 5.8-6.2
- Optimum EC is 1.5 to 2 mmhos. Provide periodic clear water application if excess salts accumulate.
Establishing temperature: 68°F/20°C average daily temperature
Temperatures for growing on: 55-65°F/12-18°C
- At cooler temperatures growth will be more compact and flowering more prolific.
- At warmer temperatures excess vegetative growth may be a problem and flowering will be reduced.
- Maintain relative humidity below 70% and provide good air circulation to avoid problems with botrytis.
Velocity Violas prefers bright light.
- 5000 foot candles/43,100 lux minimum
- 8000 foot candles/64,600 lux maximum
- Bright light will encourage strong growth.
- These Lobelia are day neutral and do not require supplemental light for early spring flowering.
- They are light accumulators, higher light will result in higher plant quality and more flowers will be produced.
Establish plants pot tight than space to:
- 4” pots – 5-6” centers (approximately 2 per sq. ft.)
- 6” pots/1 gallon – 14” centers
- 8” pots – 18” centers
1st Pinch- in propagation
2nd Pinch – to encourage branching pinch 10-14 days after transplant.
Plant Growth Regulators
Good light levels, cool growing conditions, and good cultural practices are the best means of controlling stretch. Growth regulators should not be needed.
Insect and Disease Concerns
- Spider Mites
- Root and stem rots
|Product Form||# Liners per pot||Total Crop Time From Transplant (weeks)|
We hope the information provided will be helpful. It is based upon data and knowledge (including information provided by the recipient) considered to be true and accurate, but without independent investigation and is offered for the recipient’s consideration, investigation and verification, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statement, recommendations, or suggestions in conjunction with any conditions of sale or use which apply to any products, or systems recommended by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use which would infringe any patent/copyright.
© 2011 Ecke Ranch