Click on this link to print or save this document: Torenia
Moon™ (Torenia fournieri)
Torenia can be propagated in various tray sizes including 72, 84 and 105’s. Stick one cutting per cell. Propagation Cycle: 4 weeks
- Choose a well-drained aerated propagation media.
- Avoid media containing peat moss which will hold too much water.
- Choose a blended media with other components or inorganic media such as Oasis® or Rockwool®.
- Bottom heat will promote healthy root development.
- Maintain bottom heat at 70-75°F/21-24°C.
- Mist will cool the media temperature. Monitor media temperature closely and frequently.
- Torenia roots easily without the use of rooting hormone. However, time to root and uniformity in rooting may be improved with use of a hormone.
- Either liquid or power formulations work equally well. Choose a product with up to 2500 ppm IBA or up to 500 ppm NAA.
*Liquid hormone solutions like Dip ‘N Grow® should be diluted 1:20 to avoid alcohol burn to cutting ends.
- Average days with mist vary from 6-9 days depending on environmental conditions in the greenhouse.
- Mist cuttings so they remain turgid but avoid over misting that results in saturated media.
- Over misting will result in slow rooting and possible problems with root rot and botrytis.
- Mist should be eliminated or significantly reduced as roots form.
- Weekly sprays of 1500 ppm Cycocel® or 1500 ppm B-Nine® will prevent stretch.
- Pinch in propagation is not necessary.
- Begin feeding as roots are visible. Begin with 75 ppm nitrogen then increase to 150 ppm. Choose a fertilizer with low levels of ammonium based nitrogen and avoid overhead feeding with fertilizer containing phosphorus.
- Maintain pH at 5.6-5.9
- Maintain EC at 0.75-0.80 mmhos
Choose a media with the following traits:
- Good aeration
- Porosity between 5-15%
- Avoid excess irrigation and fertilization while plants are establishing which can lead to slow root development. Once plants have established do not allow to dry excessively which will result in damage to foliage and flowers.
- Fertilizer Regime
- Begin fertilizing 2 weeks after transplant.
- Choose a complete balanced fertilizer complete with minor elements.
- Apply 200 ppm constant liquid feed.
- Maintain pH between 5.8-6.0
- Optimum EC is 2 to 2.5 mmhos. Provide periodic clear water application if excess salts accumulate.
Establishing temperature: 68-70°F/18-21°C average daily temperature
Temperatures for growing on: 65-75°F/18-24°C day and 60°F/18°C night
- Low temperatures result in slow, stunted growth and bronzing of leaves.
- Maintain relative humidity below 70% and provide good air circulation to avoid problems with botrytis.
Torenia prefer bright light.
- 4000 foot candles/43,100 lux minimum
- 6000 foot candles/64,600 lux maximum
Establish plants pot tight than space to:
- 4” pots – 5-6” centers (approximately 2 per sq. ft.)
- 6” pots/1 gallon – 14” centers
- 8” pots – 18” centers
1st Pinch- trim once established (2-3 weeks after transplant)
2nd Pinch- Additional pruning can be used to shape plants, correct for stretching or to time flowering. Mature, healthy plants generally bloom within 10-12 weeks after pinching.
Plant Growth Regulators
Moderate light intensities and consistent temperatures are the best control methods for preventing stretch; avoid large differences in day and night temperatures.
- Torenia does not generally require use of plant growth regulators, although it is responsive to B-Nine® sprays (begin about 3 weeks after pinching at rates of 1500-2500 ppm) or apply Bonzi or Sumagic as a drench.
- Do not apply Florel® to Torenia.
Insect and Disease Concerns
- Fungus Gnats
- Root and stem rots
|Product Form||# Liners per pot||Weeks to establish||Weeks to flower after pinch||Total Crop Time (weeks)|
|6” / 1 gallon||2-3||1-2||5-7||6-9|
We hope the information provided will be helpful. It is based upon data and knowledge (including information provided by the recipient) considered to be true and accurate, but without independent investigation and is offered for the recipient’s consideration, investigation and verification, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statement, recommendations, or suggestions in conjunction with any conditions of sale or use which apply to any products, or systems recommended by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use which would infringe any patent/copyright.
© 2011 Ecke Ranch